Call for 2017 Travel Grant Applications
Yale University, New Haven, USA
14–17 June 2017
The African Literature Association invites applications for three ALA Travel Grant Awards worth $1,000 each, for members traveling to the association’s conference from Africa. Priority is given to early career applicants.
Eligible applicants must be based in Africa, and should demonstrate 1) scholarship; 2) financial need; and 3) ability to supplement grant award.
Travel Grant Applications must include the following documents:
- A cover letter (not longer than 2 pages) including title and abstract of conference paper to be presented at ALA conference;
- Acceptance letter from the convener;
- A 2 page Curriculum Vitae or résumé (including ALA travel grant awards received within the past three  years , teaching and/or research experience and interests, professional meetings/conferences attended, with dates, place and titles of papers presented, current university affiliation, if applicable); and
- Two letters of recommendation. Each letter should be 2 pages or less, and should include contact and brief biographical information of recommender. (Recommender’s CV or résumé is not needed).
- Winners of the award are expected to meet with the Chair of the committee and members of the EC when they attend the conference.
Travel grants are awarded to successful applicants during the Awards Ceremony at the conference. Successful applicants will be required to be paid-up ALA members for the current year and to pay conference registration fees. Please be advised that the ALA Membership fee is different from the conference registration fees; and both are compulsory for all conference participants.
For more information about the conference, visit the Yale website: http://ala2017.macmillan.yale.edu/